The reference list of what you will see and experience during the 2 Days Olympia and Vassae tour includes but is not limited to:
- View of the Saronic and Corinthian coastline
- View of the Salamis Island
- Corinth Canal
- Archaeological Site of Olympia
- Temple of Zeus
- Temple of Hera
- The Stadium
- Archaeological Museum of Olympia
- Famous statue of Hermes of Praxiteles
- Temple of Epicurius Apollo
We can customize this tour to your needs.
If you want to skip or add something, please let us know in advance.
Meet your chauffeur early in the morning in the lobby of your accommodation. We will drive westwards to Olympia. You will have the chance to enjoy the magnificent Greek coastal scenery along the Saronic coastline.
On the way to our first stop at the Corinth Canal, you will be able to see and hear the intriguing stories hidden behind the war of Salamis Island between the Greek and the Persian fleet, the war that determined the route of the western civilization. Legends and reality merge and help us narrate the lives of the Greek heroes that became famous worldwide for their strategic skills, ingenious ways and courageous character.
After a short and easy ride of 50 minutes, comes our first stop, the engineering marvel of Corinth Canal. After our 30minute stop on the Corinth Canal and of course after taking our time to snap some breathtaking pictures and get some rest on the nearby rest area café, your chauffer will drive you through the winding country local roads through olive trees, vineyards and orange trees that grow in abundance in the area. It will feel as if you stepped into the scenery that one sees only in artistic movies and documentaries. We will continue to Olympia. Lay back and enjoy the scenic drive till we will reach Olympia.
After approx. 3,5hrs driving we reach Olympia. At this point we suggest a break for a lunch in Olympia. After this you can spend about 3hrs in the Archaeological Site of Olympia and its Museum. Alternatively you can divide your visit to the Site and Musuem in two parts.
On the first day you can visit the Archaeological Site and on the seocnd the Museum or vice versa. Ancient Olympia is a place whose beauty and value cannot be fathomed by words and descriptions. It is the place that has been admittedly the most glorified and worshiped sanctuary of the ancient world, dedicated to the father of humans and the Gods, Zeus.
The first Olympic Games were held here in honor of God Zeus back in 776B.C. and has become nowadays an international athletic celebration, that exceeds borders and nationalities, begins in this exact place every four years. You will be able to see the ruins of the Temple of Zeus, of the Temple of Hera, the Stadium with its spectacular capacity of 45000 people. Take your time to explore the ruins of the ancient facilities on site and then continue to the Museum.
Finally the Archaeological Museum, that constitutes the last section of our tour, is filled with remarkable exhibits, including the famous statue of Hermes attributed to the sculptor Praxiteles. Your chauffeur will be waiting for you to drive you to your accommodation in Olympia.
Overnight in Olympia.
If you have saved the Archaeological Site or the Museum for the second day, your chauffeur will take you there and wait for you. After your visit we will continue with our driving tour heading to Vassae, so as to visit the Temple of Epicurius Apollo about an hour later.
Epicurius means helper in Greek, was considered to be the God that could heal the mortals from their ailments. Unique in its entity the Temple of Apollo Epikourios and Vassae in general were the first sites that were listed in the World Heritage List as Greek monuments of exceptional value in 1986. After your visit to the Temple we will depart for Athens.
Driving time to Athens 3,5 hrs.
Entrance fees into Olympia area & Museum are 12 Euro pp (combined ticket obtained at the ticket office) and for temple of Epikourios Apollon is: 9 €
Free admission for:
- Persons under 18 (with current identification to prove age)
- University students from Greece and the E.U
Free admission (for all) on the following dates:
- 6 March
- 5 June
- 18 April
- 18 May (International Museums Day)
- The last weekend of September annually (European Heritage Days)
To stay informed about any applicable admission fees please click here
To buy your tickets in advance click here
- Summer Period: 1 April – 31 October
- Winter Period: 1 November – 31 March
Opening hours for the archaeological area of Ancient Olympia:
- Winter period: Tuesday – Sunday: 08:00-15:00, Monday: 10.00 – 17.00
- Summer period: 08:00- 20:00
Opening hours of the Temple of Epikourios Apollon:
- Winter: 8:30 – 15:00
- Summer: 8:00 – 19:00
All sites and museums are closed or have reduced opening hours, on the following holidays:
- 1 January: closed
- 6 January: closed
- Shrove Monday: 08.30-15.00
- 25 March: closed
- Good Friday: until 12:00 closed
- Holy Saturday: 08.30-15.00
- Easter Sunday : closed
- Easter Monday: 08.30-15.00
- 1 May: closed
- Holy Spirit Day: 08.30-15.00
- 15 August: 08.30-15.00
- 28 October: 08.30-15.00
- 25 December: closed
- 26 December: closed
To stay informed about the sites’ opening hours please click here
There are a few things that are useful for you to know before participating in one of our tours:
- Comfortable clothing and sensible, flat-soled walking shoes are recommended for most locations. Sun glasses, a hat and sun screen are also suggested since the Mediterranean sun is extremely hot during the summer months.
- Photography is permitted in almost every site throughout the tours and if it is prohibited you will be informed beforehand.
- Local currency (euros) might be needed in order to pay at the spot small entrance fees and small expenses.
- In case one of our guests has some special needs, is under certain medication or has a limited walking endurance you can let us know during the organization of your customized tour and we will make sure that small breaks are incorporated into your itinerary.
- Also it is suggested that you bring with you a small bottle of water or something small to eat in case you need to during the tour.
- Furthermore if an individual has advanced accessibility needs you can let us know and allow us to customize the tour to fit your needs.