The reference list of what you will see and experience during the Eleusis Half Day tour includes but is not limited to:
- The remaining ancient trails of the Sacred Way
- Archaeological Site of Eleusis
- Archaeological Museum of Eleusis
- Drive through the modern city of Eleusis
We can customize this tour to your needs.
If you want to skip or add something, please let us know in advance.
Meet your chauffeur at the lobby of your accommodation. After a short and easy ride driving westwards we will arrive in Eleusis.
During our tour in Elefsina you will have the chance to walk along the remaining ancient trails of the Sacred Way, which used to be the path connecting the city of Athens with Elefsis. Hear the intriguing story hidden behind this place, as it is so beautifully described in a greek myth that narrates the establishment of the Elefsinian Mysteries and the abduction of the daughter of Goddess Demeter, Persephone by god Hades.
As far as the Eleusinian Mysteries is concerned, also known as the Mysteries of Demeter and her daughter Persephone, they are a series of religious events that originated from the inner need of people to approach and familiarize with the afterlife and furthermore explore their inner hope of an actual life after death.
The details of all the stories, how the myth came into life and developed into one of the worlds most renowned religious celebrations and how the human curiosity for exploring what happens to the human soul after we die will unravel in front of your eyes as you will walk among the remnants of the Temple of Demeter and her daughter Persephone and feel the sacred energy of this place.
At the Archaeological Site and inside the Museum you will have the chance to view a series of interesting exhibits that were discovered during the excavations in the area. Many of the findings are associated with the ceremonies of the Elefsinian mysteries. One can find there vessels and valuable objects of immense artistic value that ancient Greek people brought to the Goddess as a gift.
This tour will allow you also to explore how this beautiful city that was established as a small rural town, evolved into a religious center that held immense sacred and sentimental value for the Greek people during the ancient times and still managed to modernize and develop into a beaming 21st century city concentrating almost 48% of Greece’s industrial activity,that survives with dignity during difficult financial times.
At the end of your visit to the archaeological site and its museum your chauffeur will wait for you to drive you back in Athens.
Admission fees Archaeological Museum of Eleusis & Archeaological site of Eleusis:
Full: €3, Reduced: €2
Free admission for:
- Persons under 18 (with current identification to prove age)
- University students from Greece and the E.U
- University students and Students of Higher Education Institutes
- Technological Educational Institutes
- Military Schools or equivalent Schools of member states of the European Union
- Schools of Guides, upon presentation of their student identity card
- Young people, under the age of 18, after demonstrating the Identity Card or passport to confirm the age
Free admission for all on the following dates:
- 6 March
- 5 June
- 18 April
- 18 May (International Museums Day)
- The last weekend of September annually (European Heritage Days).
For prices updates please click here
To buy your tickets in advance click here
- Tuesday-Sunday: 08.00-15.00
- Closed on Monday
For updates on opening hours please click here
There are a few things that are useful for you to know before participating in one of our tours:
- Comfortable clothing and sensible, flat-soled walking shoes are recommended for most locations. Sun glasses, a hat and sun screen are also suggested since the Mediterranean sun is extremely hot during the summer months.
- Photography is permitted in almost every site throughout the tours and if it is prohibited you will be informed beforehand.
- Local currency (euros) might be needed in order to pay at the spot small entrance fees and small expenses.
- In case one of our guests has some special needs, is under certain medication or has a limited walking endurance you can let us know during the organization of your customized tour and we will make sure that small breaks are incorporated into your itinerary.
- Also it is suggested that you bring with you a small bottle of water or something small to eat in case you need to during the tour.
- Furthermore if an individual has advanced accessibility needs you can let us know and allow us to customize the tour to fit your needs.