The reference list of what you will see and experience during the 2 Days Delphi, Hosios Loukas and Thermopylae includes but is not limited to:
- Monastery of Hosios Loukas
- Traditional Village of Arachona
- Delphi Archaeological Site
- Delphi Archaeological Museum
- Athena Pronaia Sanctuary with the renowned Tholos
- The Castalia Spring
- The Temple of Apollo
- The Great ancient theater
- The stadium, where the so called Pythian Games
- The treasuries that the city states erected in Delphi
- The famous statue of Antinoos
- The unique bronze statue of the Charioteer
- Battlefield of Thermopylae
- Sea Side town Kamena Vourla
We can customize this tour to your needs.
If you want to skip or add something, please let us know in advance.
Our tour starts in the morning and by taking a ride following the highway after approx. 2hrs we will arrive at the Monastery of Hosios Loukas. Hossios Loukas is the largest surviving monastery of the Middle Byzantine period in Greece, famous for its Byzanitne mosaics, founded in the early 10th century by the hermit Hosios Loukas whose relics are kept in the monastery to this day. You can spend about 1,5hr for your visit to the Monastery.
Your driver will wait for you and take you for a wonderful scenic ride, and finally arrive at the picturesque traditional village of Arachova, where you can enjoy a nice stroll in the village, look for local products and have a quick coffee. Our short break will revitalize us and get us prepared for our visit to the navel of the world, the Archaeological Site of Delphi.
After a few minutes of driving from Arachova you will reach Delphi. Legend has it that Zeus, sent his two eagles across the world, one from the East and one from the West, and he said that the point where the two eagles would meet would mark the center of the earth, the navel of the world.
Delphi used to be the most important sanctuary dedicated to God Apollo, the place through which the God was believed to be offering his Oracles through Pythia, the Priestess of the Sanctuary, who was always eager to give her advice to everyone from mere citizens to mythical heroes and legendary leaders of cities.
The perpetual inner need of mortals and the endless effort of the human race to foresee and learn about the future but also have the blessing of the Gods gradually converted the Oracle of Delphi into an important information and cultural center and allowed it to collect all the offerings that the cities were sending as donations, which resulted in the creation of a local treasury of immense value.
You will also explore the sanctuary of Athena Pronaia with the renowned Tholos, The Castalia Spring, the Temple of Apollo, the Great ancient theater, the stadium, where the so called Pythian Games and the treasuries that the city state erected in order to express the gratitude towards the Gods.
Inside the archaeological museum of Delphi which is our next stop you will have the chance to admire many important ancient Greek artifacts from the excavations at Delphi, including the famous statue of Antinoos and the unique bronze statue of the Charioteer. You can spend approx. 3hrs on the Site and its Museum.
Your driver will be waiting for you to take you to the village of Delphi and escort you to your accommodation.
In the morning take your time to enjoy the unique peaceful scenery of the village of Delphi and the breathtaking views it offers to the olive grove before you will depart for the Thermopylae. After approx. 2hrs driving you will reach Thermopylae, widely known for the ballte of 480B.C. that took place there.
Today’s visitor can see the monument erected on the sport depicting the Spartan King Leonidas. The scenery has pretty much changed at the battlefield nowadays. For this reason, “Thermopylae’s Innovative Centre of Historical Information” is a must see on the spot to help the visitor understand the morphology of the ground and the narrow passage of the battlefield, that due to erosion has changed.
A traditional restaurant is our next stop and our chance to taste the authentic Greek cousine with local delicacies in the fish town Kamena Vourla. After your lunch your driver will take you back to Athens after a 2,5hrs driving. Lay back and take your time to take in all the diverse experiences gained on this tour.
Entrance fees into the archaeological areas of Delphi and its Museum are 12 Euro total pp (combined ticket obtained at the ticket office) and 3 euro for Hosios Loukas monastery
Free admission for:
- Persons under 18 (with current identification to prove age)
- University students from Greece and the E.U
Free admission (for all) on the following dates:
- 6 March
- 5 June
- 18 April
- 18 May (International Museums Day)
- The last weekend of September annually (European Heritage Days)
To stay informed about any applicable admission fees please click here
To buy your tickets in advance click here
- Summer Period: 1 April – 31 October
- Winter Period: 1 November – 31 March
Opening hours for the archaeological area of Delphi:
- Winter period: 8:30am – 15:00
- Summer period: 8:00am – 19:00
Opening hours for Hosios Loukas monastery:
- Monday closed Tuesday-Sunday 09.00-17.00
All sites and museums are closed or have reduced opening hours, on the following holidays:
- 1 January: closed
- 6 January: closed
- Shrove Monday: 08.30-15.00
- 25 March: closed
- Good Friday: until 12:00 closed
- Holy Saturday: 08.30-15.00
- Easter Sunday : closed
- Easter Monday: 08.30-15.00
- 1 May: closed
- Holy Spirit Day: 08.30-15.00
- 15 August: 08.30-15.00
- 28 October: 08.30-15.00
- 25 December: closed
- 26 December: closed
To stay informed about the sites’ opening hours please click here
There are a few things that are useful for you to know before participating in one of our tours:
- Comfortable clothing and sensible, flat-soled walking shoes are recommended for most locations. Sun glasses, a hat and sun screen are also suggested since the Mediterranean sun is extremely hot during the summer months.
- Photography is permitted in almost every site throughout the tours and if it is prohibited you will be informed beforehand.
- Local currency (euros) might be needed in order to pay at the spot small entrance fees and small expenses.
- In case one of our guests has some special needs, is under certain medication or has a limited walking endurance you can let us know during the organization of your customized tour and we will make sure that small breaks are incorporated into your itinerary.
- Also it is suggested that you bring with you a small bottle of water or something small to eat in case you need to during the tour.
- Furthermore if an individual has advanced accessibility needs you can let us know and allow us to customize the tour to fit your needs.