The reference list of what you will see and experience during the Athens and Cape Sounio Full Day tour includes but is not limited to:
- Temple of Wingless Nike
- Odeum of Herodes Atticus
- Temple of Olympian Zeus
- Hadrian’s Arch
- Old Olympic Stadium
- Presidential Palace
- Changing of the Guards
- Constitution (Syntagma) Square
- Tomb of the Unknown Soldier
- Lycabetus Hill
- Trilogy of Culture (Academy, University, Library of Athens)
- Athenian Riviera
- South suburbs of Attica named Palaion Faliro, Glyfada, Vouliagmeni, Varkiza
- Lake of Vouliagmeni
- Temple of Poseidon at Cape Sounio
First thing to do on this superb full day tour is to visit the Acropolis Hill, before the crowds and the heat begin to rise. There you will explore the magnificent gate of Propylaea, the Temple of the wingless Nike, the Erectheion with the imperious maidens Karyatides, and last but not least the masterpiece of Classical architecture, the Parthenon. The Acropolis gives you the chance to enjoy a panoramic view of the theater of Dionysus, the Odeum of Herodes Atticus, the Ancient Greek Agora, the modern city of Athens and even the port of Piraeus.
After your visit to the sacred rock of the Acropolis, you can lay back in our luxurious, comfortable and air conditioned vehicle and your chauffeur will drive you to explore the rest of the city in the most stylish and convenient way. Next comes the visit the Temple of Olympian Zeus and the Hadrian’s Arch. Your next stop is the Old Olympic Stadium.
Right after you will have the chance to witness the intricate changing ritual of the guards in front of Athens’ Presidential Palace. Continue with the driving tour and see the greatest examples of 19th century neoclassical architecture like the Trilogy of Culture, the masons on Queen Sophia’s Av., the House of the Parliament on Constitution Sq. (Syntagma Square) where the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier exists and then your chauffeur will take you to Lycabetus Hill to take some magnificent panoramic pictures before you will leave the city.
Your Athenian Riviera and Cape Sounio Tour starts here. On your way to Cape Sounio you will enjoy the ride through the Athenian Riviera that has established itself as a world class destination combining beaches, leisure and culture. Driving through the old aristocratic summer resorts of the 50s, 60s and 70s named Palaion Faliro, Glyfada, Vouliagmeni, Varkiza, and staring the fascinating view of the Aegean deep blue, you will find yourself lost in the beauty of Mediterranean nature. Don’t forget nonetheless that the beauty of architecture awaits you a few miles away in the form of the magnificent Temple of Poseidon.
This tour could never be considered complete without visiting the Lake of Vouliagmeni, with its natural beauty and fame for its thermal waters of 22 celcius stable temperature and the labyrinthine underwater tunnel. On the way to Cape Sounio we suggest a break for an authentic Greek lunch.
After this stop you will continue all the way to Cape Sounio. There you will visit the Temple of Poseidon and have time to let your mind roam through ancient monuments with the immense blue of the Aegean Sea as a background. You will be able to feel the summer breeze on your face and capture some of the greatest pictures anyone could ever imagine. Being the southest part of the Attica Peninsula and a great strategic point in the Antiquity, Cape Sounio is worldwide renowned for its view and its Sunset over the Aegean Sea that serves as a beautiful background for the magnificent Temple of Poseidon.
After you visit Sounion, you will follow the same seaside winding street. Allow yourselves to enjoy your ride while taking in all the wonderful information you gathered throughout the day. Your driver will drop you off back to your accommodation after your memorable day in Athens.
The private tour to the Athenian Riviera and Cape Sounion is one of the top rated tours, selected numerous times by discerning travellers who are in seek of an integrated experience that combines the beauty of the outskirts of Athens with the most beloved and integral part of the Athenian culture.
Entrance fees, to the Acropolis and Temple of Zeus, are 26 Euro total pp.
Entrance fee to the Temple of Poseidon in Cape Sounio is 4 Euro pp.
Free admission for:
- Persons under 18 (with current identification to prove age)
- University students from Greece and the E.U
Free admission (for all) on the following dates:
- 6 March
- 5 June
- 18 April
- 18 May (International Museums Day)
- The last weekend of September annually (European Heritage Days)
- Summer period: 1 April – 31 October
- Winter period: 1 November – 31 March
Opening hours for the archeological sites of Athens including Acropolis:
- Winter period:8:30am – 15:00
- Summer period:8:00am – 19:30
Opening hours for Temple of Poseidon in Cape Sounio:
- Winter period: 9:30am until sunset
- Summer period: 8:00am until sunset. Last entry 20 min before closing.
All sites and museums are closed or have reduced opening hours, on the following holidays:
- 1 January: closed
- 6 January: closed
- Shrove Monday: 08.30-15.00
- 25 March: closed
- Good Friday: until 12:00 closed
- Holy Saturday: 08.30-15.00
- Easter Sunday : closed
- Easter Monday: 08.30-15.00
- 1 May: closed
- Holy Spirit Day: 08.30-15.00
- 15 August: 08.30-15.00
There are a few things that are useful for you to know before participating in one of our tours.
- Comfortable clothing and sensible, flat-soled walking shoes are recommended for most locations.
- Sun glasses, a hat and sun screen are also suggested since the Mediterranean sun is extremely hot during the summer months.
- As far as walking is concerned you have to keep in mind that climbing up to the Acropolis is a rather challenging task. Guests must be able to walk over paved, inclined paths, some with steps and then climb a series of steps to reach the Propylea. The walking surface on top of the Acropolis is rather raw and uneven. It has been preserved in this manner in order to showcase the authentic environment of the monuments.
- Photography is permitted in almost every site throughout the tours and if it is prohibited you will be informed beforehand.
- Local currency (euros) might be needed in order to pay at the spot small entrance fees and small expenses.
- In case one of our guests has some special needs, is under certain medication or has a limited walking endurance you can let us know during the organization of your customized tour and we will make sure that small breaks are incorporated into your itinerary.
- Also it is suggested that you bring with you a small bottle of water or something small to eat in case you need to during the tour.
- Furthermore if an individual has advanced accessibility needs you can let us know and allow us to customize the tour to fit your needs.